Retirement in Sports

Posted by doms | Saturday, October 11, 2008 | | 0 comments »

Retirement or walking away from the Sport that you love and made you great is really the hardest thing to do for athletes who are caught by mother time.

Only a few athletes have walked away from their sports while they are on top.

Brett Favre came out of retirement only a year after that emotional farewell. This resulted in some intrigue in Green Bay. Lance Armstrong will be riding his bike again supposedly for the purpose of promoting cancer awareness. Evander Holyfield is reported to fight again versus a seven - footer.

Of the athletes in my generation, I can only think of Pete Sampras - retiring in top form. He called it quits after winning the US Open, his 14th career singles grandslam title at the expense of my favorite, Andre Agassi.

As I have read from my favorite sports writer, Bill Simmons, Elgin Baylor is another example of retiring when it is already time.

I hope that all sports personalities, specially the superstars have the wisdom to know the difference between walking away or grinding through and the humility to accept that they can not beat mother time

0 comments